Today we hear from Rachel Rumsby, a junior Communication Studies and Public Relations double major from Bergen County, NJ. She has lived on-campus in Mimosa Hall and the Rowan Boulevard Apartments. In this story, Rachel shares her must haves for upperclassmen apartment living.
Hi! My name is Rachel Rumsby, and I have lived in an apartment on-campus at Rowan University. I lived in the Rowan Boulevard Apartments last year, and I will live there again this year. I also know a bit about the other apartments on-campus, as I had friends living in them. That being said, here are some must-haves, tips, and information about living in an apartment on-campus.
I will also give you some insight into what the Rowan-owned apartments (Rowan Boulevard Apartments, Townhouses, Edgewood Park Apartments, and Whitney Center) and Nexus-affiliated properties (220 Rowan Boulevard, 223 High Street, 114 Victoria, 230 Victoria, and 57 North Main Street) have that differ from each other.
In the Rowan-owned apartments, the kitchens come with a full-sized fridge, sink, cabinets, and stove/oven. In the Nexus-affiliated properties, the kitchens come with a fridge, sink, garbage disposal, microwave, dishwasher, cabinets, and stove/oven. In order to use your kitchen, you will need to bring many supplies. Here are some must haves.
- Dishwashing supplies (everyone should bring dish soap)
- Pots and pans such as frying pans, large pasta pot, and a sauce pan
- Any cooking tools such as spatulas, whisks, measuring cups
- Microwave (in Rowan-owned apartments)
- Plates, bowls, and cups
- A kitchen rug
- Anything else you like to cook or bake with
Living Room Area
All the apartments have an upholstered living room sofa, an upholstered living room armchair, an end table, a coffee table, and a dining table and chairs. The Nexus-affiliated properties come with a television as well. For more information about furniture in the Rowan-owned apartments, check out the furniture description page on the Housing website. For more information about furniture in the Nexus-affiliated properties, check your building’s page on their website. While the living areas are fully furnished, decorations are a nice touch. I don’t really have any must haves for this area.
While living in an apartment, you are responsible for cleaning your own spaces, including your bathroom. Here are some must-have items for keeping your common spaces and bedroom clean!
- Paper towels (all roommates should bring)
- Garbage bags (all roommates should bring)
- All purpose cleaning spray (all roommates should bring)
- A vaccuum
- A mop
- A broom and dustpan
- Cleaning wipes
Bathroom and Bathroom Cleaning Supplies
In apartments, you share a bathroom with at least one of your roommates. Here are some must haves for the bathroom.
- Toilet bowl cleaner
- Toilet brush
- A plunger
- Bathroom rug
- Lots of toilet paper (you will live there for a while)
Most of the must haves for your room are the same as your first year dorm must haves. These items are in addition to anything else you would bring, such as clothes, school supplies and decor.
- Bedding (Rowan-owned apartments will need twin XL bedding, Nexus-affiliated properties will need bedding for a double bed in single rooms and bedding for a twin XL bed in double rooms.)
- A lamp (Even though there is overhead lighting, I like to have a separate lamp next to my bed so I can control how much lighting I have and not have to get up to turn it off.)
- A mattress topper and/or mattress pad (The beds at school are not like your bed at home. A mattress topper and mattress pad will make sleeping a little more comfortable, with a little more support than the mattress provides.)
- First aid kit (A first aid kit is definitely a must have. A good first aid kit has bandages, pain relievers, extra masks, alcohol wipes, and any other items you may need if you get a headache or get hurt. You never know what may happen, so it’s always good to be prepared!)
Looking for more insight into apartment living? Check out our “My First Apartment” story or view this University Housing playlist for an inside look at apartments at Rowan. Looking for more information about Rowan Housing or specific dorms? Check out the Residential Learning and University Housing website.
Like what you see?
Rachel Rumsby, junior communication studies and public relations double major